Tuesday, October 9, 2012

October 4 - 7, 2012

Work has been extremely busy so time for logging runs has proportionately decreased.

October 4, 2012
2 miles (22:14) at Jensen Lake  6:00am
2 miles (22:10) around Neill Lake 6:30pm (With Jen)
Legs destroyed, and just did a couple recovery runs after the hard/hilly 5 miles at Lebanon hills. A strange click started in my left leg hamstring tendon. Stretched out really good after and it went away.

A small narritve I wrote about it.
Ow. Ouch. Damn, my foot hurts.  Same one, the right; same place, the top. My legs ache. And I'd like a nap.  But I feel the need to run more!  Trails are fun, and just going to become exhilarating one day! This day, my foot hurts from 210lbs + gravity pounding down dirt hills for 7 miles yesterday.  Going out this morning I knew would be slow and the lower half of my body so tender I walked up the two big hills. Easy run indeed.

Long runs share much of the after effects of an all night drinking binge. The next day you don't want to move. Instead of your head pounding your legs are throbbing and feet swollen. Rays of light and noises above the normal speaking tone make you wince and retreat when your brain is embalmed in liquor. A pace faster than


October 5, 2012
2 miles (19:24) at Jensen Lake  6:30am
2 miles (17:21) at Jensen Lake 1:30pm
2 miles (16:54) at Jensen Lake 6:00pm
Started out slow in the morning still feeling the 5 mile fast tempo run deeper into the east side of Lebanon Hills park from Wednesday. Later in the day I felt good enough and fell in behind another runner to push a PR pace around the lake.

October 6, 2012
OFF - knee was stiff, body extremely worn out. Just recovered.

October 7, 2012
8.5 miles 1:27:00 at Hyland Park 8:am
Set out for an intended leisurely and 6 mile length run. In addition to some lessons learned I found my way around for hopefully a smoother run next time. Downed a GU just as I jumped out of the car as a test to see how it would hold as opposed to the 15 minutes prior to workout the packaging recommends.

Lesson 1: Fall leaves covering the ground are the deceptive epitome of a picturesque run.
Tree roots are hidden under those beautiful piles and make for bad tripping hazards.  Somewhere around mile .25 I was attacked by a lurking tree root, incognito in the colored fauna that landed me straight to the ground. While it was a jarring surprise, I rolled out of it nicely and had only very minor scuffs on my hands. Within the first 2 miles, two other hidden roots tried to take a hit out on me and I finally put the effort into higher steps as I went.

Everything was feeling good, the first two miles clicked off quickly due to the minor familiarity from the last outing.  Coming upon that split in the road with the sign that  sent me the wrong direction last week I went around the now closed fence into the northern most part of the park. 

Immediately the trail turned into several steep downhills through some denser softwood trees and burst out onto a lower slope of a ski area. I knew the trail went around the back area of some kind of recreation area but didn't realize it would be steep ski slopes. Instead of wearing myself out I power hiked up to the center lift and wandered around the back side to the furthest part of the slope. Unfortunately there wasn't any obvious sign of a trail leading out, just a bulldozer,some churned up topsoil and a fully dressed man walking away from the tractor. As I stood there trying to determine the a new route, the guy walked up the hill on a small single track trail and started to crest it when I realized he was a hiker and this was probably my road through.  Quickly I cruised past him on  a very steep downhill and tried to set into a tempo again until I reached the base of the hill and saw a small side road, interstate 494 and several huge corporate buildings. Turning away to get my bearings the next thing I spot -

Near the bottom of that grassy hill is where I found myself gawking back up a 60+ degree slope. Gauging the "No public access" signs to the right  I decided the fastest way out was to hike up to the ski jump hill and find my way back. Trekking up that incline had my thighs burning and huffing heavily. At the top a road split again and I noticed a truck coming up from the right I assumed was some official park vehicle, so decided take the left route right away.

A trail ambled it's way down to the northern section of the park to what should have been return road to the parking lot where I left Blue.  Navigating this small section was difficult if one tries to use the posted maps.

Lesson #2: Not all maps are oriented to point north.
After deciding on a route which showed returning to the parking lot I set off  on some very padded wood chip paths that kept trying to loop back in the direction I began.  Despite my effort to move in a southern direction the non-navigational road sign was suddenly coming up on my left and tacking on a full mile to my trek. Realizing the route I was now on was heading back to the ski jump I cut through a trampled section of woods and emerged back at the bulldozer and top of the ski slopes. Running back the same direction doesn't appeal to me as a new trail or scenery will and I chose to tackle the highest point of the slopes for another route to my destination.  Some random park worker must have spotted me earlier and just as I was starting to descend back towards the trail that led me onto the hill a fella with a CB radio squawked he could "see me" and headed in my direction. A game trail plummeting down the hill was the first thing I saw and really didn't want the hassle of listening to someone go on about private property and making an this run any more tiring.

Single track down hill is extremely technical especially for me, so walking made more sense. Finally I found some familiar sights and set out to finish strong after so many tiring ascents that morning. A forethought before leaving that morning was to bring 2 bottles of Gatorade which I quickly dispatched to my stomach in under a minute after an hour and half of running without any hydration.

This coming weekend I plan to incorporate a lot of the ski area into my long run and hopefully find a way through the dead end on the west side of the park.

WEEK LOG:
33.5 miles 5 hours 27 minutes
By far this is my highest single mileage in my life and I will be looking to top it next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment