Sunday, September 30, 2012

September 29, 2012

4.5 miles, 42 minutes 8am Hyland Lake Park
Much of what I expected today came true. Not due to sabotaging my run by being negative, more what I've experienced in the last couple weeks taking on hills and new routes.  Following the trails wasn't difficult and I always try to take note of any warning signs posted to avoid running up a section that turns out to be closed;  expending more energy than I have for a "good" outing and most importantly not end up walking back from exhaustion.

Hyland lake is picturesque as the trail rounds the lake, ground covered in woodchips for soft foot placement under a tunnel of softwood trees. I was surprised that first mile ticked off very quickly and I was rounding the lake in only 8 minutes, heading north for the next 5 miles.  Plenty of steep downhills were available to practice speed descents I watched on one of Anton Krupicka's blog Friday.  It looks like a blast cruising down hills like a deer. 

Just at the north section of the trail I see a sign that reads something about going out of the park and assume it's not where I want to head.  So I turn left and at the next trail marker am pleasantly surprised how "fast" I'm heading back to the parking lot.  By mile 4 my left knee is noticeably becoming an issue and that's when I realize the car is about a half mile out.  Now the stiffness is too much and I walk the last of the distance back.  My watch kept running so the pace I recorded is grossly understated. 

Interestingly the last time first time my knee stopped me I was just a half mile from home while on a long run.  A mis-turn on Saturday ended up saving me from hobbling 2 miles in shame past the dozen other runners I had already seen ambly traipsing along the paths this morning. Sunday's run will probably not happen because I don't think my knee will even make a 2 mile loop at this point.

Optimistically, I believe Dr. Nolan at Premier Sports and Spine Clinic will figure out the root cause of this new ongoing pain.. Instead of finishing up the successful treatments to my lower back that has hindered being active over the last year, this week we started looking into my knee pain on Friday and  have a follow up visit this Wednesday.  I sincerely hope it's something treatable while I can continue running. Taking days off when I don't want to just bums me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment